A little history…
Deception Bay Business & Employment Network Group started in conjunction with Community Renewal’s ‘Deception Bay Business and Employment Centre’ initiative to develop businesses and employment opportunities in the Bay. Our first breakfast at Subway May 2004 (Kevin Ould, Athur Hayes, Brian Broughan, David Rauchle, Craig Stevens, Terry Armstrong) invited community, employment agencies and businesses to be part of this initiative in building our community through networking.
We have held monthly breakfasts in various localities and an expo in Deception Bay Shopping Centre and have also sent a deputation to a State Government Community Cabinet Meeting, we have held four successful award nights and this is now an annual event.
The Deception Bay Business & Employment Network Group became Deception Bay & Districts Commerce Inc. in 2006. Because we are now serving a wider community, on September 17 2008, we changed our name to “Moreton Bay Central Commerce”. In doing this we now hope to truly represent the Central part of the Moreton Bay Regional Council.
Our original Aims were:
- Networking within industries.
- Unified approach to local government and interested local community groups for business operators.
- Encouraging local support from the community
- Encouraging knowledge sharing between business people
- Inaugurating our own Business Expo & Awards Night in the Bay
- We now want to develop our group to initiate and facilitate more projects through working with our community to build and strengthen our community and local businesses.
Our theme has been about ‘Building People – Building Business – Building Community’.